Wednesday, June 28, 2006

On the live CD assignment for 525

It would appear that getting a live CD of Ubuntu to play nicely with my G5 is easier said than done. Results: Ubuntu 6.06 (for PPC) installation fails to start "pbbuttonsd" every time; I tried the alternate installation CD and that one fails partway through too. OK...Google gives me one or two people with a similar problem, who got advice to try re-burning the CD...tried this, same thing happens. Maybe I wasn't born under a most-recent-version star? Ergo, tried the 5.10 version of Ubuntu, which seemed a bit more hopeful, but alas...a simple boot stops after telling me "release keys to continue," (don't know what that's about - no keyboard response there, so I don't see what I can do) - moving on...I tried boot: live video=ofonly, which takes me a bit farther so I get to type mac-boot, but then a white screen of death and a message about a "decrementer exception."

You know, I do believe I will go do this assignment with a PC in the computer lab after all...

1 Comments:

Blogger Lauralee said...

Indeed it did. :) So much simpler to do it that way...I really kind of wanted to get it to work with my computer, though. Maybe I'll give it another go when I have more spare time - perhaps with another flavour of Linux...

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home